Free QBASIC Compilers -- Compilers QBASIC Gratuitos
NJSG
2004-05-27 19:42:50 UTC
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Anybody knows where can I get a free QBASIC 1.1 compiler?
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?

In Portuguese / Em Português
============================
Alguém sabe onde posso encontrar um compilador de QBASIC
1.1 gratuito?
Já vi links para fazer o download gratuito de versões mais recentes
do QBASIC. São legais?
--
Thanks in advance,
Nuno Silva (aka NJSG)

=== - ===
My english isn't very good, because it isn't my first language. If you
found any error, tell me.
a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2004-05-28 23:20:58 UTC
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Anybody knows where can I get a free QBASIC 1.1 compiler?
No such critter. If you mean a compiler that will compile basic
programs that were written using QBasic, there are many, including
BCET, see the 2nd URL in the sig.
Post by NJSG
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
QBasic 1.1 is the last version of QBasic.
--
Arargh405 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the garbage from the reply address.
Stephen J. Rush
2004-05-29 03:24:33 UTC
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Post by NJSG
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
QBasic 1.1 is the last version of QBasic.
QuickBasic 4.5 (the last version) is a superset of QBasic and a subset of
the BASIC Professional Development System, last version 7.1. PDS has an
integrated development environment that is often called QBX. Microsoft
could have prevented a lot of confusion if they had just given a little
thought to the product names.

Anyone who offers "QBasic 7.1" may be an ignorant software pirate,
but he may be something worse. Imagine a compiler hacked to plant a
trojan in every large program it translates.
a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2004-05-29 03:40:29 UTC
On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:24:33 -0500, "Stephen J. Rush"
Post by Stephen J. Rush
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Post by NJSG
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
QBasic 1.1 is the last version of QBasic.
QuickBasic 4.5 (the last version) is a superset of QBasic
Actually, QBasic is a chopped down version of QuickBasic 4.5
Post by Stephen J. Rush
and a subset of
the BASIC Professional Development System, last version 7.1.
PDS is an enhanced version of QB45.
Post by Stephen J. Rush
PDS has an
integrated development environment that is often called QBX. Microsoft
could have prevented a lot of confusion if they had just given a little
thought to the product names.
Hell, Yes.

PDS 7.1 comes up as:

Microsoft (R) QuickBASIC Extended v7.1 (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp,
1982-1990

so 4.5 is not the latest version. Also, If you create completely new
INI files with both QBasic 1.1 and QuickBasic 4.5, you will notive
that QBasic 1.1 ID's itself as 4.6. (in the INI files, the first 2
bytes are "QB" and the next word is the version, byteswaped).

It's called QBX because the name of the IDE executable is QBX.EXE.
Post by Stephen J. Rush
Anyone who offers "QBasic 7.1" may be an ignorant software pirate,
but he may be something worse. Imagine a compiler hacked to plant a
trojan in every large program it translates.
It would be much easier just to hack the runtime routines, than to
mess around with the compiler.

NJSG
2004-06-23 20:50:34 UTC
About BCET, I tried it with one of my QBASIC programs,
that uses SCREEN, COLOR and PALETTE, and BCET didn't com-
piled it. I will try it with a "non-SCREEN", "non-PALET-
TE" and "non-COLOR" program.

Thanks.
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Post by NJSG
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
QBasic 1.1 is the last version of QBasic.
--
Nuno Silva (aka NJSG)

=== - ===

Only English Newsgroups:
========================
My english isn't very good, because it isn't my first language. If you
found any mistake (or have problems understanding the post), tell me.

=== - ===

All Newsgroups:
===============
In English:
-----------
I have a 33.3 kbps Internet Dial-Up Connection.
Please wait by my replies with patience.

In Portuguese:
--------------
Eu tenho uma ligação Dial-Up à Internet a 33.3 kbps.
Por favor aguarde as minhas respostas com paciência.
a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2004-06-27 04:16:35 UTC
Post by NJSG
About BCET, I tried it with one of my QBASIC programs,
that uses SCREEN, COLOR and PALETTE, and BCET didn't com-
piled it. I will try it with a "non-SCREEN", "non-PALET-
TE" and "non-COLOR" program.
COLOR should work, however SCREEN & PALETTE are only needed for
graphic operations, which BCET does not suppport. There is a list of
non-supported things on the web site. These should be listed there.
I will check soon.
Post by NJSG
Thanks.
Your welcome.
<snip>
--
Arargh406 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com

Paul O. BARTLETT
2004-05-30 00:54:50 UTC
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Anybody knows where can I get a free QBASIC 1.1 compiler?
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
Sorry that I cannot answer in Portuguese. Others have answered as
to the confusion of names. However, if you want a QBasic 1.1
interpreter that will run under Windowsw, you can still download it
from Microsoft's support website. Go to http://support.microsoft.com
and search for Olddos.exe. Download it and scan it for viruses. It is
a self-inflating archive, so just execute it. It will expand into
several files. For QBasic, all you need are QBASIC.EXE and QBASIC.HLP.
(Be sure to scan them for viruses, also.)
--
Paul Bartlett
bartlett "at" smart "dot" net
PGP key info in message headers
Paul O. BARTLETT
2004-06-06 01:20:36 UTC
Thanks by the answer. No, I don't want an interpretator. I've the
QBASIC 1.1 interpretator, which comes in Win98 CD-ROM. I want to cre-
ate .exe files from the .bas files.
If you want a compiler specifically for QBasic files, then you will
have to find a used copy of QuickBasic 4.5 or Professional Development
System (PDS) 7.1. Do not download them from the internet. First, it's
unethical, because those compilers are still legally the intellectual
property of Microsoft, even though they are not sold new anymore.
Second, you have no guarantee that a downloaded copy is free from
viruses, trojans, and other mischief. Try eBay.

There are non-Microsoft compilers available, but due to langage and
syntax differences, source code may require conversion.
iasm
2004-06-07 00:35:07 UTC
try www.powerbasic.com

NJSG

Michael Mattias
2004-06-09 11:42:08 UTC
Post by NJSG
I've visited the site, but I didn't find any
free compiler - are the demos free for use how
long we want?
As a rule "demos" are not available for "use" at any time, except for the
one permitted use, namely "demonstration."

MCM
Larry Hatch
2004-06-17 20:36:42 UTC
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Anybody knows where can I get a free QBASIC 1.1 compiler?
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
In Portuguese / Em Português
============================
Alguém sabe onde posso encontrar um compilador de QBASIC
1.1 gratuito?
Já vi links para fazer o download gratuito de versões mais recentes
do QBASIC. São legais?
www.bastoc.com has QB2C, you can type that. Translate the BASIC program
(to C) and use an ANSI-C compiler to
get your binary.
Dick Kistler
2004-06-19 23:41:57 UTC
Post by Larry Hatch
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================
Anybody knows where can I get a free QBASIC 1.1 compiler?
I've seen links for downloading freely later QBASIC ver-
sions. Are they legal?
In Portuguese / Em Português
============================
Alguém sabe onde posso encontrar um compilador de QBASIC
1.1 gratuito?
Já vi links para fazer o download gratuito de versões mais recentes
do QBASIC. São legais?
www.bastoc.com has QB2C, you can type that. Translate the BASIC program
(to C) and use an ANSI-C compiler to
get your binary.
Try: http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/dos/dos_vers.asp#olddos It is
included in this Package.

I think it is also on the Windows 98 and Windows 98se install disks. I don't
know about ME.

It is not a compiler, though. It won't compile to exe.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler
NJSG
2004-06-20 17:25:13 UTC
I'm using MS-DOS QBASIC 1.1 interpretator that is
in the folder "tools\oldmsdos" of the Windows 98 CD-
-ROM. I want to create stand-alone MS-DOS EXEcuta-
bles.
However, read my reply to the post of this thread
that you replied.
Post by Dick Kistler
Post by Larry Hatch
Post by NJSG
In English / Em Inglês
======================

NJSG
2004-06-20 17:22:06 UTC
1. QB2C is not free;
2. I want only to get MS-DOS EXEcutables that use instructions such
as "SCREEN", "COLOR", etc. I think that C hasn't equivalent funcions;
3. I remembered I was used a time a ms-dos command prompt compiler.
I will look at my old CDs of downloads and I will say if I have it. I
remembered too that the program was compiled sucessfully a program with
"PALETTE" and "SCREEN" instructions.

Thanks by the reply.
Post by Larry Hatch
Post by NJSG